Monday, July 20, 2015

My testimony

Here is my testimony in a nutshell.
John and I have been together since 2005 and were married in 2009. One day I asked him where we were going. What did he see as our next step. We got into a discussion and he asked me how I saw us being married. Would it be in a church with a white wedding dress and if so, what led me to believe that I could be married that way.
I was brought up in a house that my mom was raised Catholic and my dad Jewish. They decided that my brother and I would not be raised as anything and we could then choose what we wanted to believe.
John really got me thinking. I never actually thought too hard about what being married in a church meant. He started to ask me all these questions about what I believed and most of the answers were “I don’t know” because I really had no clue about what I did or did not believe. I had previously attended a Roman Catholic church only a handful of times with my aunt and uncle when I was younger and had attended an orthodox Jewish temple where they did not even speak in English.
What did Easter mean to me? Egg hunt and a bunny. What was Christmas? Presents and time with family. Why do we have a Christmas tree or a Menorah? I never actually thought about the reason for a Christmas tree but a Menorah candle is lit for every night of the holiday of Chanukkah. Each holiday you get gifts.
How could I make an educated decision on what I believed if I had no idea what the options were. I had always called myself an Atheist. I bought myself a New Believers Bible with a bunch of extra information in the front and began to read it and realized that I knew nothing about what I said I didn’t believe. I began asking John questions that he didn’t have all the answers to.
I discovered the purpose for us being here and how we became what we are today. Thank you Church at the Gateway. We attended, were saved, baptized, married and have 2 children that we dedicated to the Lord.
What is the purpose of your life? Spread the Good News! Jesus is coming back one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment